internal mic not working in windows 7 on new samsung laptop

henry1 21:57 PM 29 Jun 12

I have a new samsung laptop I7 processor running windows 7, I am out of the country and tried to phone with skype I could hear ok but not speak. Checked the settings and it appears to be asking for an external mic but there is an opening in the case with a mic symbol for an internal mic so how do I get it to work. henry1

Nontek 22:09 PM 29 Jun 12

In Skype have a look at Tools>Options>Audio Settings to make sure that the mic is shown, perhaps via the drop-down arrow alongside name of mic. Also try a Sound Test Call.

henry1 00:20 AM 30 Jun 12

The problem is in the computer, if I try the sound recorder it dosnt pick up sound, if I plug in my earphones from my smasung phone they work in reverse as a mic and I can record but it looks like the built in laptop mic is not being detected

onthelimit1 09:38 AM 30 Jun 12

If you do as Nontek suggested, what do you see in the microphone drop-down menu of Skype?

Woolwell 11:20 AM 30 Jun 12

"opening in the case with a mic symbol" - that could be where you attach an external mic. Having said that most laptops have a built in mic. What model of Samsung laptop is it?

henry1 12:47 PM 30 Jun 12

In the skype drop down menue for microphone it is showing realtek audio but doing the echo test with skype I hear the skype message but not the record of my voice. The small opening in the case is a pinhole on the left side of the trackpad with a mic symbol eched in the case. The samsung is a chronos I7 15.4" screen I think it's quite a new model and expensive. I have just made a call on skype using my samsung phone earphones in the jack plug down on the side of the laptop listening in one and using the other earphone as a mic so skype is working but not the built in mic

Nontek 13:03 PM 30 Jun 12

Hmm, I have just read a review on the laptop, it would appear that you will need an external mic in order to make proper use of Skype etc. From what I can see there is no internal mic!

Nontek 13:06 PM 30 Jun 12

Do you not have a User Manual on disc, should have come with the laptop! User Manual will tell you all you need to know.

First thing I did when I bought new laptop was to print the User Manual, so I know all about my laptop, from Novatech!

Nontek 13:30 PM 30 Jun 12

Hmm, just read another Review, apparently there is an in-built mic, so I would expect there to be a F key switch to activate the mic - you will need to consult your User Manual as the F key required does not show up on the reviews I have read.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites