internal hard drive re format (XP)

ginty 15:12 01 Dec 04

I need to reformat my Harddrive but when I go to
diskmanagement the format tab is greyed out any ideas to reformat my hard disk- I installed XP service pack 2 and it has caused all sorts of problems hence the reformat.

SurfMonkey _#:@} 15:15 01 Dec 04

do you have a windows xp disc

SurfMonkey _#:@} 15:18 01 Dec 04

check this thred out it may help as I have just reformated xp click here ps mack sure you have all you drivers avalible as you will loose everything on format

mattyc_92 15:25 01 Dec 04

You can't format a harddisk that has an o/s on it in windows... Yu must use your "Windows Xp" installation disk to format it...

Insert your "Windows XP" disk and restart system. You should get a message saying "Press ANY key to boot for CD/DVD" (or something on those lines) in the BOIS. Press ANY key to boot from the disk... Press enter to get to the "Terms & cons"... Press F8 to accept. Now press D on your Keyboard to delete the "partition" that you have selected.... and follow what you have to do to format the disk. This will tell you at the bottom-left of the screen. You normally press "L" to format (once you have pressed "D" and then select the drives format e.g. NTFS (WinXP prefers) or FAT32 (for Win98). Computer will format the disk and start to copy files to your system.... Then restart

DON'T TAKE THE DISK OUT OF THE DRIVE when the computer re-starts... You will get the "press any key to boot from cd/dvd" message again, but IGNORE this. The system will boot-up the files that have just been copied... This will actually install windows. Once you have typed in your Serial code, Name and occupation, the system will restart.... And there you go... you have just installed windows XP...

Windows will then just ask you if you want to change you Desktop Resolution. Once this has completed, just start to install your other programs and application and etc....

CurlyWhirly 16:15 01 Dec 04

Rather than format why not uninstall it from 'add/remove programs'?
Alternatively IF you created a restore point why not restore it?
Formatting Windows seems a bit drastic IMHO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…