internal hard drive

smylle 10:11 03 Aug 05

Can I have two internal hard drive in my PC? I have an existing 40GB hard drive and I want to add another 40 to 80GB.

Magic Hobo 10:20 03 Aug 05

You can have another Hard Drive in your computer if you have a spare 3.5 inch drive bay and if you have a spare power connector and Ultra ATA or SATA connector depending on your drive. For instructions on fitting a new drive click here

smylle 11:17 03 Aug 05

tnx Magic Hobo..I already looked into my PC and found the empy slot and spare cables.

Another thing I have in my mind is..I only have a 1.7GHz processor (intel pentium 4). Does it has a limit for a memory and hard drive upgrade?
Many thanks

Magic Hobo 11:30 03 Aug 05

But your motherboard might have restrictions as to how much memory you can put in each slot.Also if your File System is Fat32 then it will only allow you to use 137gb of space on a drive larger than 137gb.

DieSse 13:37 03 Aug 05

What Operating System are you running? - how much RAM do you have now?

Then you can be advised better.

smylle 09:09 04 Aug 05

DieSse...I am running windows XP Pro...256 RAM

Diemmess 09:29 04 Aug 05

You should have no problem at all, except that such is the market that a 40Gb HD may be more difficult to find than 80Gb!

Diodorus Siculus 09:31 04 Aug 05

You should have no problem with a disk up to 120gb (or even higher). Get whatever seems the best value and partition it so as to maximise your ability to put some order on it.

smylle 09:45 04 Aug 05

I already found a vacant slot and extra wires (power and connectors) for the connection of extra HD. After I connect all of this..are there any extra things to do?ie installation,formatting etc etc. or it's just like a plug and play connection?
Many thank again.......

quack 10:17 04 Aug 05

Don't forget the new HDD must be set as 'Slave' to the one already fitted. This is done by adjusting the jumpers on the hard drive.

Al94 10:30 04 Aug 05

click here for good instructions on ititialisation and formatting in XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…