internal dvd

johnofleeds 21:44 PM 17 Apr 12

Hello I have an old vaio pcv-v1/g(it's a bit like an early mac with all componants-ie motherboard dvd and memory in the behind the monitor) and it's dvd drive won't be detected upon startup in the bios it's about 7 years old and the drive is like a laptop-not a standard desktop.It must be an ide or may be a pcmcia bus?I just don't know.Are they all different?or are they reasonably compatable?Thank you all john

northumbria61 14:10 PM 18 Apr 12

Your DVD drive is a Mashita UJ-810 - If you have any DVD player software try deleting it and reloading it to see what happens.

johnofleeds 14:20 PM 18 Apr 12

Hi Northumbria yes I do have nero but it's the bios which won't identify the drive and you are correct in saying it's a matshitsa uj-810 when it was working I think it's the drive thats knackered.are all laptop dvd drives the same- like desk tops or non standard?Thank you john

northumbria61 14:28 PM 18 Apr 12

Not quite sure about your "All in One" but they should be the same. If I were you I would consider purchasing an external DVD/CD Drive - easier than opening up your case.

northumbria61 14:30 PM 18 Apr 12

Your BIOS may show the drive in the BIOS as "Optical Drive" not necessarily DVD Drive.

northumbria61 14:32 PM 18 Apr 12

Matshita is ** (look closely at the sequence of letters in the name) :)

If you can't solve it - buy a brand-name USB external DVD burner and go on about your life.

johnofleeds 14:55 PM 18 Apr 12

Hi again northumbria thank you for your suggestions.I have an external usb dvd(samsung)but the bios dosn't have the option to boot from it-only boot from floppy usb.Strangly enough device manager can see it as a matshita Uj 810.Thank you john

northumbria61 15:59 PM 18 Apr 12

The bios doesn't have the option to boot from it-only boot from floppy usb.

Are you not able to change the boot order of the BIOS?

There is a LINK here if you decide to replace the DVD Drive enter link description here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…