internal drive not working

mikesuther 11:41 14 Feb 10

I have a HP laptop, which is a few years old. it developed an annoying fault a few month ago, which is that althought the internal drive is recognised it will not read or write to the disk. I am using win XP. if I coonect an external drive that works fine. I had this happen once before and only resolved the problem after reformatting the hard drive. As it is my wifes computer and she relies on it for work she does not want the machine reformatted as she is prepared to put up with the inconviniece, to me though I though I would ask you wise chaps for your advice. hope you can help kind regards

bremner 12:43 14 Feb 10

I am slightly confused.

Are you saying that the hard drive that contains the o/s can not be written too or read from.

If this is so and you can boot the machine to the desktop then it is being written too and read from.

Is it just your wifes profile that can not read and write certain files - if so what files.

DieSse 15:54 14 Feb 10

"the internal drive is recognised it will not read or write to the disk."

I'm presuming you mean the CD/DVD drive ??

click here has the fix for the commonest cause if this.

Also it's possible the drive has failed - it can have failed and still be recognised correctly.

mikesuther 09:44 15 Feb 10

I meant the internal DVD drive sorry for the confusion

Terry Brown 13:19 15 Feb 10

If the drive has failed, they all do eventually, you may need to replace it.

This is a link from HP about replacing the DVD drive.
Hope it helps.
Terry
click here

mikesuther 10:26 02 Mar 10

sorry for not replying sooner but DiSee hit the nail ont the head. i have never heard of that facility before so a big thank you. I will be passing on that handy link to friends and family. it is annoying to know that this help is available for free

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac