intermittently unable to shut down.

dakini 08:09 20 Apr 06

I am having problems shutting down and logging off. If I click log off or turn off computer usually nothing happens, ( although if I turn the computer on, then off almost straight away it will go off ) otherwise the only way i can do this is to go to switch user and then when i click shut down i get a message saying other people are logged on to this computer, shutting down may cause them to lose data, do you want to continue shutting down, I click yes and it works.I am the administrator on the machine, guest user is turned permanently off, and no one else is logged on. what is causing this and what can I do about it.
many thanks Dakini

wee eddie 08:16 20 Apr 06

1st: If you switch user and then try to close down, anything that was open within the earlier users use will lose information.

2nd: When you follow the normal road: Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off. there can be quite a gap and after you have clicked "Turn Off" there can be a wait of anything from 20 seconds to 5-6 minutes for your PC to close. Depending on what has been happening during the session you are exiting.

Jackcoms 19:23 20 Apr 06

Try this to decrease shut down times:

It will take about 8-10 seconds for Windows to close after the fix:

1. Start/Run and type Regedit
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3. Click on “Control”
4. Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5. Right click and select “Modify”
6. Set to a lower value than 2000
7. A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…