Intermittent wireless with Vista

lenc 18:38 01 Jul 07

My wireless network, BT Voyager 2110 modem/router with 1040 PCI cards, has worked fine with XP and W98. The 98 machine has just been replaced with a new Vista (Home Premium) machine. The PCI wireless card installed fine with the Vista Broadcomm driver. Vista requires that the SSID is visible in order to find and connect to a wireless network. (Done that.) However, in general, the wireless connection only lasts for a few minutes. Occasionally, the connection might last for 1/2 an hour but then only for a minute or two (again). Throughout this, the XP machine remains without problems or difficulty. Is this familar to anyone? Any suggestions as to a cause or a cure? Would a different card, or USB wireless card, make a difference?
Grateful for any ideas,
Len

Forum Editor 19:45 01 Jul 07

of a hardware or driver incompatibility, or both. The problem is that I can't be sure, and neither can you, until and unless you try another wireless adapter - one that's guaranteed to work with Vista.

Network adapters are pretty simple devices, and usually they work well, but occasionally there's a driver issue with wireless adapters.

That's about all I can say, really. I know it's not much help, but I can't see an alternative - try another adapter, preferably a PCI one.

mgmcc 20:29 01 Jul 07

I'm sure the Forum Editor is right, but it wouldn't do any harm to try setting a different Channel number in the router's wireless settings to see if that helps with the problem.

lenc 19:14 02 Jul 07

Of all the spare bits I've got, a PCI wireless card is not among them. I had considered trying a USB card, the Vista PC is only 8-10 meters away from the router. We also tried changing channels and only a few alternatives work. The router supplier has suggested restoring the factory settings and starting agin, which sounds more hopeful than likely. For now we're using a cable to the Vista machine (whilst waiting for a driver upgrade to the card) which somewhat defeats the purpose of wireless!
Thanks anyway,
Len

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…