intermittent USB ports

carver 18:00 28 May 04

I'm having a rather annoying problem with the USB2 ports on my P/C, it's a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L motherboard and the problem is that the 2 USB ports that are connected to the F-USB connector on the MOBO work whenever they feel like it. It's not the devices I've got connected that are at fault because I have the same problem with all 6, which I've tried one after another. The ports will work for some time then they will just cut out, then return, work for maybe 5 Min's then cut out again, then power back up again. this problem has got worse over the past 4-5 months, any decent suggestions are welcome.

carver 11:23 29 May 04

bump

MartinT-B 11:28 29 May 04

try this forum click here

It's the nForce forum for all mobos using nForce 2 and 3

christmascracker 11:39 29 May 04

Try this:

Go into device manager and expand Universal serial bus controllers. Go down to USB root hub and right click, go to power management and take the tick out of 'allow the computer to turn of this device to save power'

Totally-braindead 11:49 29 May 04

Just a thought but what do you have connected to your USB is there items connected which use a lot of power, try disconnecting some of the items and see if this makes any difference. Failing that try reinstalling the motherboard USB drivers and check your power supply as well, perhaps its not giving enough power anymore to run the USB ports. Power supplies do wear out and perhaps this is why its getting worse.

carver 14:04 29 May 04

MartinT-B, thanks for the link, I'll go through it later to see if theres any advice on that.

Totally-braindead,I've checked power requirements for all the USB devices and the only one that comes close to the limit is the modem and thats on it's own USB port, as for power supply that is about 2 weeks old and it's a 450 Watt PSU and a good quality one at that.I replaced the other one because I thought that might be part of the problem, but it hasn't and I'm now out of ideas.

christmascracker, it's the USB2 ports that are causing the trouble and these are taken from a connector on the mobo, when they cut out I get the message that the 'USB device has failed' that is why I have tried every device separately but I still get the same message with each one. Theres no conflicts showing up in device manager, the only thing that I haven't been able to resolve is the fact that the 5volt supply is still only showing 4.27v

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…