Intermittent start-up

Islesman 13:52 07 Jun 09

I recently built a PC with the following specification; Silverstone Sugo SG03 case, Silverstone ST50EF 500W short cable PSU, Asus P5E-VM HDMI mobo, Intel Core 2 duo E8400 3 GHz, Silverston Nitrogon ST06 CPU cooler, 2 x 1GB Corsair CM2X DDR2 DIMM, ATI Radeon HD3870, Hitachi 360 GB SATA HD, Pioneer SATA DVD, media card reader, Windows Vista 32 bit home premium.

Very, very rarely, the thing starts up on the main power button but what usually happens is that the hard drive, DVD drive and graphics card power up but the mobo doesn't boot. Sometimes after leaving it to warm up for a while, it will start up normally after pressing the reset button.

On those occasions there may be a message such as "overclocking failed" etc, that can all be ignored and it boots ok, Windows runs ok.

I have updated the bios to the latest version, sorted out some issues with the ATI graphics, removed and reseated RAM, graphics card and power supply cables (having checked for bent pins - nothing untoward found).

Short of taking the individual bit-by-bit component replacement path, I am stuck for ideas.
Having spent a small fortune on this stuff I am loathe to start buying more bits and reluctant to start dismantling it for now since it is extremely tight in there. Could it be anything with cooling?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced