intermittent start-up

Gav5 21:49 27 Apr 08

I tried to test my mates graphics card for him, but i think i may have caused some damage while removing mine. Now when i try to start the pc, it loads up once but wont boot on restart or if i switch off and start again. It doesn't even reach the bios. It seems to work if i clear the cmos each time. The monitor just says no signal while the pc is running. Could this be a ram problem or have i damaged the motherboard ? it was previously working ok. Any help appreciated

MAT ALAN 22:18 27 Apr 08

you may have dislodged something inside your PC while removing and refitting VGA card, worth a look back inside to see if all components and cables are secure...

Gav5 22:39 27 Apr 08

I've got the case open and have completely rewired all the mobo & peripheral connections, but still the problem remains. The system appears to work from cold, but once started, it won't reboot, just no signal. I've tested the graphics card and it seems fine.

MAT ALAN 22:45 27 Apr 08

if you have tested your VGA card and you say it seems OK it may be your PSU breaking down...

Gav5 22:52 27 Apr 08

Thanks for answering again, i thought it may be but it's a relatively new OCZ 700W, and i don't have another compatible supply to test with. I'm grasping at straws here but it looks like i may have to get a new mobo and power supply.

Gav5 12:11 12 Jun 08

In the end, i bought a new motherboard and Hard-disk, reinstalled Vista, job done. Not a solution but it made it work !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now