Intermittent problem with modem following lighteni

vezzer 19:03 19 Sep 03

Can anyone help, my house/phone line was struck by lightening I think and since then if I want to connect to the internet or pick up emails I have to physically go and plug into the phone socket and then unplug when i disconnect otherwise my phone line does not work. If the PC is off and it is plugged into the phone socket I can get phone calls but as soon as PC is switched on it almost takes 'the phone off the hook'.

pepe 19:25 19 Sep 03

Lightning+Modems=Disaster

try changing the modem, probably a chip on it has been fried, I have lost at least two through lightning stikes, despite having a surge protector fitted.

God made lightning, man made surge protectors.............Guess who wins

torMentor 19:27 19 Sep 03

buy a protector and a new modem, sorry but modern modems are surface mount and expensive to repair, far cheaper to buy a new one, you can get a PCI slot modem for £10 or less, or if you don`t like the idea of fiddling around inside the case then buy a serial/usb modem (more expensive £40/£70) that just connects to the appropriate socket, you`re just lucky it didn`t take the motherboard out, then you would have problems, protectors are cheap and save so much hassle, you can`t always be home to unplug the thing when the weather goes bad.

Mentor.

torMentor 19:31 19 Sep 03

just noticed the above post, I have a protector and never bother to unplug (that would mean going behind...gulp....the desk!, theres millions of wires down there, no way I am going in there without backup (joke), so I must just be lucky I guess, never lost a modem since I added the protector, before that I lost 3.

Mentor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…