Intermittent problem getting worse.

Trackrat 17:23 06 May 07

This is my Windows computer that the wife uses, so to prevent any more earache I need a cure.
The computer is running XP Home.
Specs as follows:
AMD 64 X2 3800
Asus A8N Sli mobo
2 x 1gb Crucial 3200 DDR
2 X 80gb Maxter SATA drives
Seasonic S12 600 watt PSU
2 x 7600 GT Nvidia graphics cards.
HP lightscibe DVD/RW, Sony CD/RW / DVD Rom.
I am not sure where to post this as i am not sure if it is a software or hardware problem.
This has been happening for about 6 months now.

Basically on rare occasions it will go through POST successfully, then the screen comes up with the moving bar, then after the bar has made about five full passes the screen goes blank.
Normally pressing the reset button will cure it and it boots OK.

I have posted about this problem before when it would not boot into windows at all and I got round it by doing an Acronis restore, I have just tried that again and Acronis will not pick up my external hard drive to restore from.

Eventually after about 25 reboots I managed to get into Windows and had a look in the event viewer and the only error I could see was this.
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load atapi PCIIde.

Can anyone help as this has me really frustrated, I do not now where to start looking.
I have stripped it back to the bare essentials and no problems, then added different components and it ran with no problems for a while and now it is back with the intermittent problem and it has just taken me 25 reboots to get it to work.

Technotiger 17:31 06 May 07

Hi, afraid I cannot provide any cure, except to say that I had a very similar problem requiring multiple reboots to get going - it turned out eventually to be a mobo problem, got new mobo, have had no problems since. This was all about 18 months ago.

Good luck.

frostyuk 18:06 06 May 07

have you thought about seeing is their is a BIOS update for this motherboard

Trackrat 20:03 06 May 07

Updated the BIOS and no different.

woodchip 20:09 06 May 07

IDE drivers need reloading for the Motherboard Controllers

woodchip 20:10 06 May 07

You could also change the IDE ribbon cable to see if that as any effect

mocha 20:34 06 May 07

Atapi is your harddisk software driver, have you kept your xp updates ongoing as XP sp2 had a buggy atapi.sys driver originally.

Trackrat 22:17 06 May 07

Woodchip I have tried other IDE & SATA cables, and the motherboard drivers are up to date.
mocha, All the updates for XP are installed including the one from about a month ago that caused all sorts of problems till they put a fix on a couple of days later.

mocha 23:41 06 May 07

Check here, is this your prob. click here

phono 00:03 07 May 07

ATAPI is an acronym for AT Attachment Packet Interface, an extension to EIDE (also called ATA-2) that enables the interface to support CD-ROM players and tape drives.

I would check the cables and power connectors to any optical drives, if they are all sound I would then suspect that you have one, or more, faulty CD or DVD drives.

Forum Editor 00:34 07 May 07

The IDE drivers need reloading for the Motherboard Controllers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009