intermittent problem after CD-RW upgrade

vaughan007 08:49 21 Jul 03

Hello everyone.

I upgraded a normal CD drive to a CD-RW drive on my brothers PC.

All worked well at first and there was no problem.

BUT

Yesterday when he turned the computer on there appeared to be no power going to the drive (when you pressed the drive open button nothing happened). Windows started but did not run correctly (you could see the windows screen and move the mouse pointer but could not click on anything that would produce a response).

So, my brother opened his PC and replaced the power wire feeding the CD-RW drive. When he turned his PC on again all was well. Must have just been a dodgy wire I thought.

However, he has just informed me that exactly the same thing happened again last night.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Lozzy 09:08 21 Jul 03

Sounds to me your power unit is not powerful enough to run a CD/RW.

Open the case and look on the power unit and see if you can see what the power capacity is. it should be 300 watt or higher.

vaughan007 09:44 21 Jul 03

Sorry should have told you.

It is 350W. So I doubt it is at fault.

Also just turning the PC off and on did not solve the problem. The problem was only solved when my brother changed the power connecting wire.

vaughan007 00:11 22 Jul 03

Any more help?? *Bump*

Stuartli 00:31 22 Jul 03

I have a system which has been gradually upgraded over the years and has, to the best of my knowledge, a 200w power supply.

I run everything off that, including a TDK CyClone 24x10x40 rewriter, without any power supply problems.

You mentioned that Windows did not start up correctly - that appears to be one possible clue to the problem.

vaughan007 08:35 25 Jul 03

This problem is still happening with my brothers PC.

I have come to the decision that it is a dodgy drive (any further suggestions before I send it back?).

Oh well, an irritation but cant be helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced