intermittent pause with PC

Diodorus Siculus 10:03 04 Dec 05

I've put together a PC based on this novatech bundle: click here
AMD Athlon 64 3000 Venice core
It's in a thermaltake soprana case with a hiper 425W PSU.

1.5gb RAM (1x1gb and 1x512 mb)

Nvidia PCI -Express graphics card.

Running Win2k SP4 and Avast AV with Sygate Firewall.

Anyway, the machine is great - runs along nicely and does all that I want to do.

However at times it will stop responding for maybe 30 seconds - not activity from mouse, keyboard etc.

When it returns there is no obvious problem - everything runs nicely again.

I've run Avast and there is no sign of a virus; so too have I run the various Spyware programs and these find nothing.

Safe-mode has the same intermittent problem which makes me think it is hardware related.

I've tried with only one RAM module in - still happens, whichever one is installed.

Temperatures seem ok in the BIOS - processor about 33 and case a little lower.

Any thoughts if you are still reading this?

Thanks as always, Dio.

Skyver 10:37 04 Dec 05

Anything in the event log? To completely dimiss Windows problems from the equation, download & burn a small Linux LiveCD - click here for info, click here direct link to 50mb download.

Diodorus Siculus 11:20 04 Dec 05

Should have said, I run Suse 10 on a partition on this machine and it doesn't have a problem.

Could well be Windows related then.

Nothing of note in the event viewer - it happened this morning but there are no errors reported for this morning - just lots of information panels.

Still wondering but very likely Windows related.

Thanks for the pointer re. Linux.

amonra 12:20 04 Dec 05

If it doesn't appear on Linux then it's GOT to be our friend Windows. Sounds like memory/swop-file/power related. Just guessing, after reading this forum I realise the depth of my ignorance !

jazzy j 12:26 04 Dec 05

just to double check...
I had a similar prob to this which seemed to be related to a security failure audit in the event log (computer management, system tools, event viewer, security).
It seems to have gone away having removed some of the unnecessary serives running. (eg IPSec since I don't use VPN).

gudgulf 12:51 04 Dec 05

Try disabling Avast antivirus......I've recently tried it on my pc and had a number of annoying pauses too.

As far as I can tell from the Avast forums the problem might be this......every time any program opens a file or folder,Avast scans it.Avast uses a high priority in Windows so it completes its scan quickly.Unfortunately this stops everything else....and Avast is not a very fast scanner! So if it is scanning a large file then those pauses are really noticable.

Just a thought

Diodorus Siculus 13:00 04 Dec 05

Thnaks for those ones; I'll pause Avast for a few hours and see how it goes.

Diodorus Siculus 13:01 04 Dec 05

I think that I also have BlackVipers list of necessary / unnecessary services for Win2k - I've not yet disabled them on this machine yet.

Thanks for the pointer to services.

Skyver 13:06 04 Dec 05

Allow Filemon or Regmon (or both) to run in the background to see what files or registry keys are being accessed just before and just after the pauses - may give some clues.
Filemon; click here

RegMon; click here

Diodorus Siculus 14:12 04 Dec 05

Thus far with Avast on pause, there has been no problems.

I think that I will disable a lot of Avast's scanning - I did a complete install by accident and am running services that I don't need.

Keep this open for a while more and have just installed FileMon to see what's going on.

gudgulf 14:36 04 Dec 05

If it is Avast causing the pauses, it is one of the "On Access" scanners that is the problem.

If you have the animation of the Avast Tray icon switched on,you will be able to tell if it is Avast.The Tray icon will be moving during the pauses on your pc indicating that Avast is scanning (with Avast switched on of course)

I switched to a trial of NOD32 so didn't give Avast a thorough going over......I believe it's very configurable so you can probably sort it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…