Intermittent Non-Boot.

dogbreath1 22:15 12 Jul 09

XP SP3.

Recently had additional RAM installed in mother's PC. (2GB giving a total of 2.5GB).

Since then, sometimes PC will boot and sometimes it stalls on a black screen following the display of the 'Winfast' motherboard splash screen. Usually, a reset will get it to boot on the next occasion.

Any ideas as to why, please?

howard64 08:46 13 Jul 09

had a similar problem and it turned out to be a failing hard drive. I downloaded the makers disk diagnostics and ran it. Now awaiting the replacement under warranty.

accordion 09:32 13 Jul 09

If not the hard drive, then it could be the new memory is faulty. Remove it, see if that resolves the problem.

Dave

DieSse 09:41 13 Jul 09

Disable the splash screen in the BIOS - it may have stopped with an error condition that you can't see because of the splash screen.

Try running with just the 2GB module - it's possible the specs don't match the specs of the 0.5GB module and that's creating a problem.

dogbreath1 13:39 13 Jul 09

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go the DieSse route first and see whether I'm any wiser afterward. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…