Intermittent internet

steve831007 02:18 07 Nov 07

I have a Compaq laptop hooked up wirelessly to a Belkin Wireless G router, with encryption enabled. There are two other people hooked up with an ethernet cable. The internet service provider is Rogers.

We are having a problem downloading/streaming movies (or any large files) because the internet will disconnect momentarily, and the download will stop. I have a theory that Belkin routers suck, but I am not sure. Would we benefit from using all ethernet cables to hook up to the router, and disable the wireless connection? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Steve

xania 09:05 07 Nov 07

Not sure I agree about the Belkin router - I have one which I'm now using wirelessly. It takes a short while to settle down when I first switch on but then seems to run faultlessly. have you checked the utility to see where the break occurs - could be a problem with the receiver, esp. if the wired part is working correctly.

SO far as the downloads are concerned, have you trie working with a downloader - this will allow you to stop and restart most downloads. I use

click here

which I beleive you can still use for free if you don't want updates, and there are some good freeware ones as well.

steve831007 17:58 07 Nov 07

I succeded in reseting the router last night, and it works great now. I guess I should try powering the router down every once in a while... seems to help. Thanks for your help, I will try the downloader you have suggested the next time I have this problem.

Thanks again.
Steve

jh1885 13:14 09 Nov 07

had a sim prob with overheating
reset always cured it?!!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…