Intermittent DVD Drive Problems

Fateful Shadow 11:58 30 Apr 06

My DVD-ROM drives being annoying for some reason... It has a tendancy to only read CDs/DVDs occasionally. In otherwords, I can put media within the drive and then it will search for a 'starting point' and never find it, hence it thinks there is no media within the drive. If I open the drive a couple of times and change the orientation of the disc, it might just read, however this is rare.

I have cleaned the lens a couple of times, but this hasn't done much. For anyone interested, it's a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616E

Any ideas on how I can get the it to recognise that something is in there first time??

pj123 15:06 30 Apr 06

I think "Intermittent" is going to be a problem sorting this one out.

Everytime I go to someone who has an intermittent fault it never happens when I am there.

I have a friend who has the same problem as you.

If he opens and closes the DVD draw a few times it works. He has two optical drives a DVD Rewriter and a DVD Rom. Have tried a new Sony DVD Rom drive but (for some reason that actually stopped the computer booting up.) Tried a new Pioneer and that also stopped the computer booting. Put his old original DVD Rom drive back and the PC boots OK but still get this intermittent (can't read) problem. Fortunately, his DVD Rewriter doesn't appear to have any problems so he is only using that one at the moment. I have tried his Pioneer DVD Rom in my PC and it is working perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…