Intermittent DVD disc drive access problem

rickd 18:00 27 Nov 06

I have a pair of Sony dvd rw dw-g120a drives which work fine most of the time. However, every now and then I get a disc which starts to spin (drive lights flashing, general whirring noises), but fails to spin up to full speed or run in either of the drives. In a few cases, taking the disc out and reinserting it (after cleaning it, going off for a cuppa etc) does the trick, but this is totally random and other times the disc won't run at all. It only happens with a few discs, so at first I thought they were blame, but they run perfectly fine in 2 other pcs and the dvd's play fine in my household dvd player. Its now happened to a (brand new) DVD game, several DVD films, and a software package - all genuine discs (i.e. not pirates/copies). I've updated the firmware.
I don't get an error message, just endless attempts to access the disc. V frustrating.
Is it possible there's something wrong with both drives (a design fault? dodgey lasers?) or anyone have any general tips on getting problematic drives/discs to run.

lotvic 22:34 27 Nov 06

If the drives are identical and you haven't had them long it is possible they are from a 'bad batch' and are faulty. Try the shop that you bought them from. All goods are guaranteed to be 'fit for purpose' and if they both have an intermittant fault you should be able to get them replaced.

Rtus 22:42 27 Nov 06

If you have a pair of these drives . Just simply unplug one (are they are on same Ide )then test remaining drive with same discs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5