intermittent connectivity on laptops

Squeakyted 16:53 04 Mar 06

hi,

I have a PC connected to a router, which I use to access the internet wirelessly via two laptops. They both used to connect to the internet without any problems, but recently I've found that they will connect to the internet then continue to disconnect and reconnect, either immediately or after a few minutes. I can't see anything wrong with the settings (using WPA-PSK security) and was wondering whether interference from someone else's wireless network is causing a conflict. Have tried changing the channel on the router but doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I can fix it?? Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Az13 17:34 04 Mar 06

Squeakyted,

I assume you mean you are losing your wireless connectivity to the router from the laptops and that the pc connected to the router still has internet connection ?

Possible problems for loss of wireless connectivity is other wireless kit as you suggest. Have you or your neighbours just bought DECT cordless phones, baby alarms, video senders ? These can cause problems. Also the best channels to use for your laptop in the UK is 1, 6 or 11. Have you tried all of these channels ?

I had problems using channel 10 & 11 but have changed to 1 and wireless connection is now solid.

HTH

Az

keewaa 17:37 04 Mar 06

If it is another network interfering with WZC, try enabling SSID broadcast in the router.

pipedream 20:21 04 Mar 06

Have the laptops been "upgraded" to XP Service Pack 2 since this started? This has caused me problems which I've never found a fool-proof fix for. See click here

Squeakyted 22:01 05 Mar 06

thanks all for your advice - I will first try changing the channel again as you suggest (I think it's currently set to 10). SSID broadcast is already enabled.

The laptop I use for work has had the SP2 upgrade applied (haven't done so for my personal laptop as I'd read that it could cause these kinds of problems), so will have to investigate further as I can't uninstall this...

thanks again ... I may be back :)

squeakyted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…