intermittent cd drive prob: not recognising CD

TimCDC 19:29 23 Sep 03

My pc drive has developed an occasional fault in that it won't recognise that certain CDs are in there. I have cleaned the CDs manually and also put a CD drive cleaning CD in there - but on occasions the drive doesn't recognise that the cleaning CD is in there, so won't run it. On other occasions, it will. Does anyone have any ideas what i might do next? Thanks, Tim

Stuartli 19:48 23 Sep 03

You shouldn't need to clean a drive's laser except on very rare occasions - the drives are very well sealed and the only time they are open is the short period when a disk is loaded or unloaded.

If it is an older CD-ROM drive it is possible it may not be able to read some of the latest types of disk files etc.

TimCDC 20:13 23 Sep 03

Its a new (well, 9 month old) computer. I guess it may well be just some sludge on the CDs that is visible to the drive, but not to my naked eye... I can put up with it at the mo, but am hoping it doesnt get worse....

citadel 21:34 23 Sep 03

I had the same problem, it became worse and caused errors installing games. I had to buy a new drive.

TimCDC 22:08 23 Sep 03

Yeah, that's kind of what I fear...but I guess its just wait and see...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…