intermittent broadband

G123 15:14 20 Aug 08

What can I do to stop my broadband intermittently cutting out? Messages such as 'page cannot be loaded', 'server unexpectedly cut off' ' Unexpected problem' etc. It happens throughout the day but is worst between 9 and 10 and 4 and 6. I suspect overload but the ISP, TalkTalk, deny it and when I kicked up a fuss threatened to cut me off. I did what they said and installed their Assist and Go, which frequently comes on and tells me I have a problem with my connection, it fixes it, allegedly and they are cheap, in a couple of minutes ,then minutes later the connection fails again. Most infuriating.
I know the solution is to change ISP but I am locked in for another year, and then whom do I change to? None of the comparison sites use consistency and reliability of connection as one of their criteria and this magazine's survey just reported satisfaction figures and did not say which of the ISP's made up the majority of the 3.5% disatisfied customers. So who are the reliable servers? Advice please.

Technotiger 15:18 20 Aug 08

If you are using a Router, perhaps all it needs is re-setting.

brundle 15:19 20 Aug 08

Make and model of modem or router? What happens to the lights when the connection drops?

ambra4 16:01 20 Aug 08

Check your Lan Card and Network Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

cocteau48 16:23 20 Aug 08

Is it possible that your d/l speed is too high?
I get 3.5 Mb on TalkTalk and that is just about the maximum which my line will support. Anything higher and I start getting drop-outs at peak times.
It is worth registering and posting on the TT members forum.
click here

TT's admin staff constantly monitor the forum threads and can react immediately to your problem.
Two days ago I posted an issue about my d/l speed on the TT forum and within the hour found that it had been bumped up to 4.5 Mb. As I suspected it was too high and I started getting drop-outs the same evening. Another request via the forum got it adjusted back to 3.5 almost immediately.

G123 15:50 25 Aug 08

thanks friends. sorry no progress, the problem is so intermittent that it is difficult to track down the cause. last couple of days its been fine, this afternoon it is horrific, is it a wet bank holiday afternoon and everyone is on?

I joined the talktalk forum, had an immediate response , did what was suggested but my connection is still erratic. Assist and Go keeps cutting in telling me I have a problem, as if I didn't know! I set it on and after a few minutes it says the problem is fixed, the lights on the modem are as they should be, I resume my work and then it goes again. All very frustrating and infuriating.

brundle 15:55 25 Aug 08

Your router/line stats would help; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…