Intermittant DVD-RW operation

Dumble452 00:18 29 Sep 05

Following previous thread click here
The DVD drive stopped working again. I replaced the round IDE cable with a ribbon cable of the recommended length and the drive was again recognised in device manager and shown as working correctly but failed to recognise any type of media which was inserted. I finally managed to get WinXP sfc/scannow to run in the CD-ROM drive. It did not report any problems. In fact it did not report anything, it just closed when the blue line got to 100% but suddenly the DVD-RW started to work again. This problem has now got me completely baffled and somewhat frustrated since I had come to the conclusion that the drive had died and ordered a replacement which apparently is already on its way to me.

Dumble452 10:15 29 Sep 05

It has been suggesteded that I uninstall and re-install the IDE channel on which the drive is located. I'm not too clear as how to do this. I don't want to disable my HDD by mistake.
I have 4 IDE devices. 2 HDDs on one channel and a CD-ROM and DVD-RW on the other. Device manager shows, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: Primary IDE Channel, Secondary IDE channel, VIA BusMaster IDE controller. Under DVD,CD-Roms it shows CD-Rom Location 1(1) and DVD-RW Location 0(0). The HDDs are also shown as locations 0(0) and 1(1).
I assume that I installed the HDDs on the primary channel and the optical drives on the secondary channel and the motherboard manual confirms this. So do I just select the secondary channel, uninstall the driver and re-boot?

Dumble452 06:15 23 Oct 05

Replaced the DVD drive in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…