Intermittant Connection

Woodmouse 06:51 27 Nov 03

Windows XP, 1.8Ghz, 512Mb Ram, Lucent Win-Modem. Everything was OK until I installed a new motherboard, Asus A7V8X-X SKT A KT400. I have reinstalled the driver for the modem to make it work with Windows XP. I have changed my ISP to Virgin 24seven. Initially connection was good, but now receiving errors. Error 676 The phoneline is busy. Error 718 The connection was terminated because the remote computer did not respond in a timely manner. This morning, deleted connection in set-up and then re-entered Virgin details - now works OK. Does anyone know why this unreliability is happening? Do I need a completely Windows XP compatible Modem to settle the matter?

Diodorus Siculus 08:26 27 Nov 03

Most likely because virgin was busy last night - are you on an "anytime" type connections? i.e. not a pay as you go? If it is anytime, then you will find difficulties at peak times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…