Intermittant computer fault

Non Welsh Local 12:01 19 Sep 05

Hi,

The last week or so my pc has started to fail, it just shuts down, all goes quiet and only the power light remains on. This often happens upon booting up, it'll fail within 2 or 3 seconds of being switch on, other times it might just about get fully started then fail and other times it might be on working fine for 2 or 3 hours then fail.
What is the most likely culprit, power supply, motherboard or hard drive? I'm running XP Home with SP2 and have had no problems with it, the pc is 2.5 years old and just over a year ago I had to replace the power supply. It's AMD 2200+, 1 GB ram, ti4800 gfx card and 1 hard drive.

Many thanks for any advice, please reply quickly as currently it's working(hence I can write this!) but it may not for much longer.

Non Welsh Local 12:02 19 Sep 05

Sometimes only the monitor fails but the pc itself is still running, ie fans on etc but monitor blank.

Belatucadrus 12:19 19 Sep 05

You say that the fans are on, but my first thought is something is overheating, so check all the fans are working, particularly the one on the CPU and if applicable any on the graphics card.

Non Welsh Local 12:27 19 Sep 05

Yes I have checked the fans and they are all on although when it goes dead everything is off except there is still a power light on the mb and on the front of the case. Is it safe to assume the power supply unit is OK as if that failed there would be nothing on at all, no indicator light etc(?). It's strange in that sometimes only the monitor goes off (into standby mode) but "usually" everything is off except for said power indicator lights.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:58 19 Sep 05

Most likely culprit is Power supply even though you still have leds lit.

led votage requirements very small, motherboard and HDD, graphics cards require much more.

TRy another if you can ,

Also scan for viruses if will stay on long enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…