Interloper in my workgroup

Reet 13:59 22 Mar 05

I have just discovered that an outsider has joined my work group. How can I get rid of thia person who calls him/herself 'myfriend'?
I use the Belkin 54g router with two desktop PCs and two laptops. I know I should have used the wep encryption but, 'something about after the horse....' Rita

Yoda Knight 14:22 22 Mar 05

As Administrator, cant u delete their account and then implement the web encryption ?

Sorry, not much experience in wireless...

ricvic 14:33 22 Mar 05

Can you not enable encryption now? That would lock out all PCs, and you can then enable your trusted pcs only.
I had the belkin 54g, now have a linksys. I have changed the default SSID and disabled SSID broadcast. THis has the effect of making your network invisible and your friend would be left scratching his/her head, wondering whether you have turned off the access point.
There is a further level of paranoia possible whereby you allow the router to communicate only with trusted MAC addresses.

I assume that your friend hasn't accessed the router and locked you out by changing the password! If this is the case you will need to do a reset.

Reet 15:46 22 Mar 05

Yoda Knight
Thanks for input. I ‘m not sure how to set the wep encryption. The belkin instructions are not easy to understand.

Ricvic
Thanks for suggestions. I have now set MAC addresses for all my computers and set a password for the router. However, I can still see him/her on the ‘client list’ in the router. Have I now locked him/her out? Regards Rita

ricvic 16:22 22 Mar 05

Rita,

Have you set wep encrytion?

Reet 18:46 23 Mar 05

Ricvic
I have not set wep encription yet, the instruction seemed very complicated in the belkin manual. I would be grateful for any help on how to do this. Regards Rita

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…