Interference from other networks

adayof 13:35 12 Feb 06

If I use my laptop in the same room as my router I get an excellent signal and no problems whatsoever.

If I use the laptop in other rooms I get a good signal which is fine but sometimes when other wireless networks suddenly appear my connection drops to very low at which point I lose my internet connection. I live in a tenement flat so there are lots of other networks that appear from time to time. The problem seems to happen for both secure and unsecure other networks.

I don't understand why this would happen as I have set the preferences so that my own network is first in the priority order and no other networks appear on the list.

Why would the presence of another network affect my own signal strength?

Any help would be appreciated. I had a quick look and couldn't see this topic covered already.

BurrWalnut 13:39 12 Feb 06

You could try changing the channel number that you're currently on.

adayof 14:52 12 Feb 06

My router was set to autochannel.
I put it to manual and picked any channel, say 4.
After this I couldn't connect at all dspite rebooting and switching my router on and off so I went back to autochannel.

If you are manually selecting a channel is there any way of deciding which is best?

Thanks for trying to help me.

IPA 17:47 12 Feb 06

When you changed the channel did you restart the access point (AP) and save the new settings before exiting the router setup screen ?

I have changed my channels a few times until I found one that gave me a good signal. On my router ( D-Link ) every change must be saved in the tools menu before it will work.

keewaa 11:46 13 Feb 06

Enable SSID broadcast in the router should cure this problem, however make sure you have wireless security enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…