interferance on optical sound, but where from?

josie mayhem 14:11 05 Dec 04

Two problems here. One being that when playing music via cd, I'm getting an under lining slight worrble to the sound.. ONly just detecable. this happens weather I'm using Aux, direct or optical conection on my 5.1 sourround speakers.

The other problem I have is when using the optical conection I get a interferance type buzzzing from the speakers when playing music, and sometimes get this sound when no sound coming from the speakers. I use a external decoding box, packard bell home cimera/ digital theater.

I've checked all conetion to ensure correctly fitted. So what else could be interfering with the opitcal conection?

pj123 14:22 05 Dec 04

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

I get the same thing, but not only from CDs but even if I go to C:\windows\media and double click the Microsoft Sound, or any other sound file in that folder.

I have onboard sound. I am now about to try a PCI sound card to see if that makes a difference.

Will report back.

josie mayhem 15:57 05 Dec 04

I did read a little about this earth loop, while researching a solution.

I've looked at the mains cables at the back, moved clear has much as possiable. Still there. I ponder weather before I go and start taking earth wires away, the prehaps a simple moving of the plug might help. I have the decorder box pluged into the same surge protector makes a differenace?

And what a the con's concerning removing the earth wire to the decoder box?

Graham ® 16:34 05 Dec 04

It is difficult to give advice on this subject due to someone taking earths off plugs willy and indeed ninny, thereby creating a risk of electric shock.

I should have made it clear that if an unearthed device has the signal leads subsequently removed, that device is no longer earthed.

If you feel competent, remove the earth for a short period just to see if that is the problem.

If it is, replace the earth and look for a way of isolating the earth being carried by signal leads. Perhaps the screen wire could be disconnected at one end (it only needs earthing at one end anyway).

Graham ® 16:48 05 Dec 04

A more expensive solution as used in rock'n'roll.

click here

Graham ® 19:35 05 Dec 04

I asked the FE to remove my first post as it may have caused a hazard to the unsuspecting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…