Interesting Afternoon - Spyware!

LastChip 18:04 11 Jan 03
  LastChip 18:04 11 Jan 03

I have to admit to being a little lazy when up-dating spyware definitions (signatures), but finally bit the bullet this afternoon, and up-dated the well respected Lavasoft Ad-aware to the latest version and applied the latest signature file. (I'm not as lazy with anti-virus - believe me!!)

However, the new version found no less than 34 spyware files on my machine, and whilst none were of a vicious nature (as far as I know), it does show the necessity of keeping both defenses up to date.

If you haven't done yours recently..........!

VoG™ 18:10 11 Jan 03

If I were you I would run SpyBot as well - it finds things that AdAware doesn't click here

Also SpywareBlaster st stop them installing in the first place click here

LastChip 18:14 11 Jan 03

I already have Spyware Blaster, but I'll take a look at SpyBot.

Gaz 25 18:21 11 Jan 03

Looks good that Spybot - Just downloaded found 4 which ad-aware did'nt. Ad-aware is old now anyway! It was good but it is never updated!

VoG™ 18:25 11 Jan 03

New Ad-Aware due in FEbruary click here

hoverman 18:25 11 Jan 03

Version 5.83 is old hat now and Ad-Aware Plus 6 is expected to be released any time now. They stopped issuing updates for 5.83 ages ago.

Stuartli 18:36 11 Jan 03

Funnily enough I've just installed AdWare this afternoon after trying to find out what Anoumain is that's listed when I hit Control, Alt and Delete.

It's still listed but AdWare cleared up 31 suspicious items after I had used it for the first time.

If anyone does know the origin of Anoumain (nothing comes up in Google nor is my son aware of it), please enlighten me!

Ellie3009 18:39 11 Jan 03

Over xmas a friend asked me to have a look at his computer and figure out why the internet was running so slowly.
After installing Ad-aware I ran it.
Lo and behold, 276 components of adware!
Made a huge difference to a 56k connection!

Gaz 25 18:48 11 Jan 03

I have set Internet Explorer to prompt me about cookies so if it is Gator or something or Hitbox I just click block, saves ad-aware searching your HDD all the time.

worf 18:57 11 Jan 03

As stated above AddAware hasn't been updated since about September of last year and a new version (V6.0) should be out soon. I used AddAware but since there have been no updates I have started using SpyBot S&D.
Its freeware and it does more than AddAware and its Spyware free unlick some other Anti Spy software on the market.

You can download from here:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…