Intereference from Critical Update Requests.

zootboy 16:16 21 Oct 03

After I have been logged on to the web for a short time, a window appears onscreen, in the form of a warning that an attempt is being made for a 'Windows Critical Update' to connect to some other site address.

The details contained in the warning screen are usually different.

These appear at a rapid frequency and intefere with my surfing, as I have to click on Deny (or Accept) in order to get rid of the windows, causing time loss and considrable frustration.

Any ideas where these are coming from and what I can do about them ?

Zootboy

Legolas 17:05 21 Oct 03

As far as I am aware they are from Microsoft and are updates that your computer needs to keep it secure from unfriendly connections. I would not recommend this but if you want to stop them you can by right clicking the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop and choosing the 'Automatic Updates' tab then untick the top box. This is for Win XP I am not sure of the procedure for other OS,s

Lead 17:56 21 Oct 03

I second that comment - Disable automatic updates, but make sure you manually run Windows Update on a regular basis, when it suites you and not MS :-) (I check every week or so.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…