Interaction between unconnected computers

farinton 20:37 10 Jun 09

In my study I have two computers, ‘A’ & ‘B’.
‘A’ is connected to the internet and ‘B’ isn’t.
They are not networked and there is no physical connection between them.
A few weeks ago I was using the internet via ‘A’ and ‘B’ was not switched on.
Needing to refer to a file on ‘B’ I switched it on and as the ‘welcome’ blue screen appeared the livebox to ‘A’ went down and remained down even after I turned ‘B’ off.
I have repeated this manoeuvre several times and the result is always the same.
I have even placed ‘B’ in another room in the house at least 15 metres from ‘A’ but the same thing happens.
Can you offer any explanation ?

mgmcc 21:11 10 Jun 09

Not sure from your posting whether you are losing a "wireless" connection between computer "A" and the Livebox, or the ADSL connection between the Livebox and the internet.

I have heard of similar instances where an unconnected computer has caused the loss of an ADSL signal and can only suggest that some (unknown) component in computer "B" is emitting electromagnetic radiation at a frequency which interferes with the ADSL signal.

There are some really strange things that can affect an ADSL signal. One of the most bizarre I've come across was roadworks where the phone lines were exposed and the temporary traffic lights effectively killed the ADSL signal. In another case, someone lost internet access at dusk every night. It turned out to be a street light coming on close to overhead phone lines killed the ADSL signal.

farinton 08:43 11 Jun 09

Computer 'A' has an ADSL connection, not 'wireless'.
I had concluded that the problem must somehow be electrical but don't understand why it should suddenly occur.
If as you suggest computer "B" is emitting electromagnetic radiation which is interfering with the ADSL signal is there a way I can identify which component is causing the problem?

mgmcc 08:55 11 Jun 09

I don't know of any way to identify the source of the problem. It might require expert knowledge and laboratory testing equipment, unless you have a computer expert locally who has come across the problem before.

Can you try running Computer B in another room which is not only remote from Computer A, but also remote from any phone wiring or sockets?

farinton 16:53 12 Jun 09

I have tried running Computer B in another room remote from Computer A and also remote from phone wiring but needed a socket to plug it in....still the livebox went down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…