Intel Pro/Wireless Drivers Security Update

Batch 09:56 15 Jan 07

Intel released a security update for its Centrino based PRO/Wireless network connection last August. See click here

I hadn't installed it as, at the time, it was recommended that the drivers be taken from the respective OEM suppliers (Samsung in my case) as they may have made some changes to the software, plus I didn't feel overly exposed using my laptop at home.

However, Samsung never came up with the goods and I noticed recently that Windows Update (under Hardware, Optional) was flagging a WLAN driver update (from Intel). On investigation, this turned out to be a massive 50MB download (as I had seen previously on Intel website). Bloody big drivers!

It turns out that this massive download includes some Intel wireless connection mamagement software that just isn't necessary.

However, it is also possible to download just the drivers (about 5MB)- see the Intel link embedded in the PCAdvisor page linked to above (best to read all that page carefully as it also inlcudes links to the 50MB download).

Upon downloading and unzipping the drivers, there are two .EXEs included (but no instructions!!!). DPInst.EXE is Microsoft's Driver Installation Wizard. iProdifx.EXE is Intel's silent installer which runs DPInst silently with the appropriate parameters.

You should be able to use either of these or just update the drivers via Device Manager. I used iProdifx.EXE.

Dipso 13:46 15 Jan 07

I downloaded the drivers back when the vulnerability was first discovered. I check for new drivers quite regularly as my wireless connection usually benefits from the updates.

The recommendation to get drivers from the manufacturer put me off at first but like you I found Acer didn't come up with any so I no longer worry about that.

I do however use the Intel management software which although like you say isn't necessary, I found worked better with my set up than WZC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017