intel mini card won't work

arkana 09:42 13 Oct 07

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and it has an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54 Mbps Wireless Mini Card. I have just bought a Belkin Wireless router and I cannot get a wireless connection. I have been on the phone to Belkin about ten times and tried everything but I still can't connect to any wireless networks. I called Dell and they refused to help me because my warranty has run out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem or what I can try?

mgmcc 13:17 13 Oct 07

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

If you have gone through the correct procedure without success, try disabling any WEP/WPA to see if you can connect.

arkana 11:47 14 Oct 07

Thank you for your response.

Assuming the wireless adaptor is the same as a minicard, which is what my laptop has, where would I find the software to run it and then scan for networks?

mgmcc 22:08 14 Oct 07

Wireless Networking is run in one of two ways - either with Windows' own "Wireless Zero Configuration" software or with third-party software provided with the Wireless Network Adapter (your Wireless Mini Card).

If using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration, go to "Control Panel > Network Connections", right click the Wireless Network Connection and select "View Available Wireless Networks".

If using the adapter's own software, there my be an icon in Control Panel or an application that can be run from the "Start > All Programs" menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009