Intel integrated extreme graphics

Muffindog 13:14 17 Dec 03

Just purchased a P4 Dimension 2400 with 3.06GHz processor, big hard disc and lots of RAM, but have noticed that it only comes with PCI slots not AGP ( I confess that even as a reasonably IT literate home user, the difference is way over my head).

However, the P4 processor is hyped by Intel as having intel integrated extreme graphics that can apparently do everything except make the tea (and not play a few top-end latest games). This isn't necessarily a problem as we are not high-level gamers but the big question is:....

How good is the integrated graphics and will slotting in a PCI graphics card later if we need it solve any future video problems if we do get into top-end gaming?

Jester2K II 14:06 17 Dec 03

AGP beats PCI beats OnBoard....

The point of having a separate card is to reduce the load on the main processor for producing graphics fast.

Whilst i suspect the onboard will cope admirably now a PCI card will improve things as technology gets faster.

AGP cards are better than PCI.

Diodorus Siculus 14:06 17 Dec 03

Integrated graphics are improving nowadays but don't reach the level of AGP cards.

PCI cards are somewhat better than integrated, but again don't get as good as AGP cards.

But unless you are into serious gaming, you should be ok.

Diodorus Siculus 14:07 17 Dec 03

Yep, that's what I meant...

Diodorus Siculus 14:07 17 Dec 03

Yep, that's what I meant...

Tog 14:09 17 Dec 03

I don't think the words "PCI Graphics card" and "top-end gaming" go together at all. AGP operates on multiples of the PCI bus speed and at a greater bandwidth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…