Intel cpu socket 478 or 775

nick35 10:22 21 Nov 04

Hello

In the past I have always used AMD CPU's but am thinking of upgrading using an Intel CPU which I know nothing about.

I am looking to spend approx £150 (max). There are 2 CPU' I have looked at & both are 3.2k 800fsb.

However, one is a socket 478, the other 775.

Which one would be the better choice for me?

Regards

Diodorus Siculus 10:39 21 Nov 04

TomsHardware.com has some good discussion:

click here

sicknote 10:43 21 Nov 04
  interzone55 13:16 21 Nov 04

The Socket 775 CPU is the latest edition, and the motherboards for these are more expensive than the socket 478 models, but in tests the socket 775 mobos are slightly faster, they may also include things like Intel Extreme Audio, which knocks the socks off the old AC97 audio, SATA2 and DDR2 memory.

The socket 775 chips also have no pins, so are less likely to suffer damage should the person assembling your pc not put it in the socket correctly.

As always in these discussions, my advice is to get the best you can afford, but price up the whole Motherboard, CPU & memory bundle as new technology can be significantly more expensive.

ps Why move to Intel? Get an nForce 4 motherboard with an Athlon 64, then you have a faster, cheaper system than Intel can provide, and your ready for 64 bit Windows next year

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…