Intel Core 2 Duo vs Intel Pentium D 945 Dual Core

Borofan1986 16:02 19 Sep 06

Hi,

I am looking to get a new computer - I can upgrade the processor for an extra £15 from an 'Intel Pentium D 945 Dual Core 3.4Ghz' to an 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz'.

As the new Core Duo is relatively recent to the market, I am not fully in the know regarding this processor.

Do you think that it is worth an extra £15 for the upgrade or not?

Thanks in advance

ade.h 16:08 19 Sep 06

No contest. All you need to know is: spend the £15.

sean-278262 16:10 19 Sep 06

A quick point to think about is that intel are releasing their quad core chips next month or so I read so the duo cores will drop in price accordingly so it may be worth holding off for what is only a couple of weeks. You might find you get a lot more PC for your money.

Borofan1986 16:20 19 Sep 06

Thanks ade.h and Creature of the Nite - both are well received.

ade.h - I am pleased to have had such a definitive response - makes my choice between the stated two so much easier.

Creature of the Nite - There is definitely food for thought there, the problem I face is that my current laptop is packing up and has required 4 formats in the last 2-3 months; making it incredibly unreliable, not to mention sluggish.

Thank you both again.

Thoughts are greatly received.

sean-278262 16:30 19 Sep 06

Out of pure interest you dont happen to be a regular at Teesside uni do you?

However if the laptop is on its last legs then certainly my point is useless. You cant not have a PC. Im with Ade.h if it is as bad as that.

Borofan1986 16:34 19 Sep 06

Thanks Creature - it seems that the Core 2 Duo is rated highly and yes it owuld be difficult without a PC.

Incidentally I don't go to Teesside Uni, though I do live on Teesside and am going to Durham University next month - hence the need for a new PC.

sean-278262 16:37 19 Sep 06

Ahh where abouts in teesside do you hail? Teesside happens to be my campus so was just wondering if by chance I was helping a fellow student.

Best of luck and do post back regarding the system you decide to get as I do enjoy reading people experience which comes from purchased aided by those on this forum.

Best of luck with the purchase and enjoy uni.

Borofan1986 16:42 19 Sep 06

I currently reside in Ingleby Barwick, though used to live on the outskirts of Middlesbrough.

Incidentally Teesside was my insurance choice of uni, though luckily I managed to get into Durham.

A new computer is a must, especially the state this thing is in. Still, thanks for all the advice and I will post back regarding the system.

Many Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos