Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 V Intel Core 2 Duo E6320

Mr Confused 11:58 12 May 07

Thinking about buying a new Dell but it's £65 extra for the E6320 processor. Will there be much of a noticable difference and is it worth the extra money?

These are the specs: -

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4300 Processor (1.80GHz, 800MHz, 2MB) [Included in Price]

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6320 Processor (1.86GHz, 1066MHz, 4MB) [add £64.63 or £1/month1]

follow this link
click here
compare them and check the different benchmark tests

gudgulf 12:18 12 May 07

The difference in performance will be slight in most cases and mainly die to the faster fsb of the 6320 model.

The extra memory cache will have little impact on performance........although there are some programs that will benefit.

Personally I think the extra cost is a bit steep... see click here

gudgulf 12:19 12 May 07

Errr...that should read "mainly due to"

apologies
just checked they dont feature in that link

Mr Confused 12:33 12 May 07

Thanks I think I might order the E4300 based on your advice.

On a separate note, I heard that it's quite easy to overclock (not that I have any idea of how to do those sort of things - but I'm sure i can google it!) Are there any risks involved in overclocking and can I do this without having to buy lots of different cooling devices??

gudgulf 12:40 12 May 07

You don.t say what you are going to use the pc for.......you might find that you don't need to even think about overclocking.

You need to do a lot of reading up on overclocking as you can damge components by overdoing it and would certainly invalidate any warranty you have.

For the record I am using an E6300 cpu (as for 6320 but 2Mb cache) and it is extremely quick compared to the 3.2GHz P4 it replaced.

For a guide to overclocking and an idea of what a C2D 6300 is capable of see click here

Scroll down and you will find a two part article on overclocking in general and a number of other useful articles.

Mr Confused 12:41 12 May 07

When I say lots of different cooling devices - I mean can I just overclock just using the PCs own fan (which is a Dell PC) - and not having to buy anything else to cool it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced