Intel Chipsets and AGP 8X graphics

Colin 19:43 03 Mar 03

I am looking to build a PC with a Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card which can run at 8X AGP with a motherboard that supports it. A far as I can tell, Intel does not yet have a desktop motherboard chipset that supports 8X AGP. The 845PE chipset is listed at 4X AGP. THe E7205 chipset supports 8X AGP, but this chipset is described as a workstation chipset. I wish to stay with Pentium processors and do not want to get into a "is it necessary?" discussion. Basically, will a motherboard such as the ASUS P4G8X with the E7205 chipset be suitable for a home use desktop PC? The cost is not an issue.

Colin 22:01 04 Mar 03

Can anyone help?

A Pound of Sausages 00:23 05 Mar 03

Can't help as such but:

"After venturing through them all, we are certain many of you readers would have been able to conclude that the AGP 8x interface does not give any tangible gains yet and is not much of a reason to upgrade your graphics card at all."

click here

powerless 00:31 05 Mar 03

If cost is not an issue then yes go for that motherboard.

Colin 17:40 05 Mar 03

Thanks for the responses. I will go for a motherboard with the E7205 chipset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…