Intel 550 or AMD FX 53?

contactjas 21:22 28 Aug 04

(Thanks CW for advising me to post here!)...

I am intending to buy one of two computer systems I have seen within the next few

days. I need some help. Firstly, I’m not so concerned with which processor is better. I’m sure the AMD will out-perform the Intel. What I am concerned about is future proofing myself as regards to the system as a whole.

Here are the benefits of the Intel 550 system:
PCI-Express motherboard with an ATI X800 XT video card (PCI-E slot).

AMD FX 53 system:
64-bit (also with a similar video card from nVidia - AGP)

I want the best of both worlds but of course i cant since the Intel isn’t 64-bit,

and the AMD system doesn’t have the PCI-e architecture.

I have a few questions which may help me make up my mind, and would be grateful if you could help.

1. When Intel release their 64-bit processor, will it use socket 775? (This way I can easily upgrade the Intel 550 processor with the 64-bit one, and keep the existing motherboard)

2. Are there any motherboards that use the PCI-E architecture for the AMD FX 53

processor? If not, is there likely to ever be any such motherboard for the AMD?

Thank you in advance.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:28 28 Aug 04

What are you going to use the computer for? If only for some gaming and office work the processor will make no difference.

G

contactjas 21:33 28 Aug 04

Gaming and office work, but i wanted to make sure I get the best computer to cater for my future needs also, i.e Windows 64-bit, maybe even longhorn, since I intend to spend £1800 i want to keep the system longterm.

Cheers.

goonerbill © ® 00:58 29 Aug 04

the architecture of the fx53 is so that it assists the graphics card in games as all the fx** athlons are.

haven't seen any athlon boards just yet with pci-x but they are on the way ( believe one is due for release by one of the mobo makers in a week or 2).

dont know much about intels latest range of CPU's ( haven't used intel since pentium 2 days ) but with PCI-X the graphics card is twice as fast as AGP 8x. also believe that when a 64 bit CPU is released by intel it will be a different pin arrangement again but it would be best to look at intels site for more info.

i would choose the athlon but i always would, not just the speed but the price. top end pentiums are roughly 20+% dearer than athlons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…