intall windows xp twice?

simonsup 19:47 27 Oct 06

hi all, i reinstalled windows xp home on my mates pc because he screwed it up.
Somehow i cocked up the install and now everytime the pc is rebooted he gets 2 lines at startup saying
which os to choose as there are 2 lines saying the same thing, i just hit enter and everything is ok. How do i get rid of one line peeps?

xania 20:00 27 Oct 06

You need to edit your boot.ini file. You will find this file on the root of you primary partition, but it is normally hidden so you will first need to go to Windows Explorer <Tools><Folder Options>, click on the <View> tab then uncheck the option <Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)> and check the option <Show hidden files and folders>. Now open boot.ini in wordpad. You will see <[operating systems]> then this will be followed by 2 line swhich look identical. These are the two lines which are causing the problem. Go to the start of the second line and enter <REM > - that'r 3 letters followed by a space. Save your changes and try a reboot. Your problem should be solved. Then its up to you whether or not you change your folder options back to the original settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:30 27 Oct 06

Delete the faulty windows folder

Start - run - type msconfig - boot.ini tab - click check boot paths.

Next tme you boot the second version will be gone and so will the menu.

simonsup 01:17 28 Oct 06

thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now