"Insufficient memory" error message (For Win98)

villageidiot 23:27 03 Apr 08

Normally I am using Windows XP.

However, I want to install Win98SE on a separate HDD. (My HDDs are in caddies, so I can change them over.)

I have installed Win98SE on a hard-drive. However, when I try to run it for the first time, I get the error message "insufficient memory to initialize windows quit 1 or more memory resident programs or remove unecesarry utility from your config.sys and autoexec.bat files and restart your computer"

This seems strange, as I have not yet installed any additional software. The computer is actually fitted with 2Gb of memory, although I think Win98SE can only use 512MB.

I have, in years past, used the installation disk successfully. Why am I getting this error message, and how can I get round it?

Am I correct in thinking Microsoft would not approve of me installing from my XP installation disk onto two separate HDDs on the same computer?

Acx 00:15 04 Apr 08
  woodchip 00:30 04 Apr 08

You can only use 512mb of memory in Win98se, You need to drop it

villageidiot 00:07 05 Apr 08

many thanks for your help. The link to the microsoft site solved it.

I had already typed the error message into the microsoft search bar, and got no meaninful search results. Perhaps I had made a spelling mistake.

It did take me ages to work out that the microsoft instruction "Change to the folder into which you are attempting to install Windows" means C:\WINDOWS, not just C:\, and it also took me about an hour or more to find that to "Save" the settings, I needed to use the "Alt" key to highlight the headings on the menubar, in order to be able to select "File/Save"

Anyway, all done and past that stage now. Pity that apparently, a critical .dll file has gone missing, so windows could not find a lot of the drivers to instal them.

Hey, ho. Format the drive and start again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…