Insufficient Hard disk capacity

eddiek 03:50 03 Apr 08

Hi everyone. Got a new PC with Samsung 250GB hard drive SATA 7200rpm, AMD Athlon X2 4800ghz, XP o.s. When i format the hard drive it was divided into 3 partitions, but when I check the total capacity it was only 160GB in total. I format it twice but still got the same capacity.

Can anyone help me on this. What will I do to have the full 250GB capacity?

Many thanks.

Mark5001 07:56 03 Apr 08

click here
This tool will allow you to do this. But I have not tried it myself. READ the guide with it before doing anything.

Migwell 09:29 03 Apr 08

If you are going to put XP on the computer and have the full version of home or professional you can re partition the hard drive and format it from that, without the need for any other program.

I just did that last week to a dell laptop that had a 60 gig hard drive but you could only see 40 gig.

eddiek 13:19 03 Apr 08

Thanks a lot guys (Mark5001, Migwell).

wee eddie 17:58 03 Apr 08

the Current OS is on a Hidden Partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 03 Apr 08

If you reloaded XP prior to SP2 then it will give you the wrong disk capacity reading.

Installing the SP2 update solves the problem or

In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…