Instructions on using Acronis True Image 9

23790954 21:28 28 Feb 09

Hi! there,

I was wondering if some kind person out there would give me the correct detailed instructions
on how to carry out the following task using Acronis True Image 9, which I have installed on my system which uses Win XP Pro., and has a SATA2 hard drive installed and fully functional.
I am connecting an external sata hard drive, in an enclosure, to the system via the USB2 connectivity, and have cloned the internal hard drive, to this external drive, by use of Acronis True Image 9, which has proved successful, after checking it.
I now come to the task which I am completely ignorant about, although I have attempted it several times, until I have had to make various choices in Acronis True Image, and did NOT know which choices to make, in order to fulfil my objective. Being born in the 1930's, its maybe my age.
My object is to be able to back up the my documents file, on a daily basis, knowing that at the end of each day, the my documents file of my back up drive, will be brought up to date with the original internal hard drive. WHAT do I select in Acronis True Image 9 settings, to complete this task. Easy to understand instructions would be greatly appreciated from anyone willing to help me with this problem.
Thanks for all help given.

MAJ 21:38 28 Feb 09

You don't need to use Acronis for that, 23790954, just copy and paste the contents of your My Documents folder to the external drive every night. You'll be asked if you want to replace the files already there, choose Yes. For a belt and braces approach, take a copy of the [My Documents] files already on the external drive first.

mgmcc 21:57 28 Feb 09

Acronis True Image is great software for making a complete backup of your PC, but I'd suggest that you create an "image" file of your internal drive rather than "cloning" it. That way, you still have the rest of the space in your external drive available for additional file storage. A "clone" is an exact copy of the drive, which would normally be created in order to replace the original drive, either because it was failing or to install a larger drive.

As regards keeping a copy of your "My Documents" folder up-to-date in the separate drive, I'd be inclined to use a "synchronisation" program, such as AllwaySync click here

Sea Urchin 23:10 28 Feb 09

If you do want the User Manual for Acronis 9.0 here it is

download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage9.0_ug.en.pdf

Sea Urchin 23:10 28 Feb 09

Copy and paste into your browser

23790954 12:25 01 Mar 09

Thanks for all that information to MAJ, mgmcc & Sea Urchin. To clarify my needs, I cloned the internal hard drive, to the external USB2 hard drive, as I want it to be a spare hard drive for the system, in case the original internal hard drive becomes corrupt. I can then just make the spare drive into the internal drive to use if this happens, thus I would have thought a clone of the original drive was best.
However I now want the easiest but safest and surest way of updating my documents file, from the internal hard drive, which I will update daily, to the external USB2 hard drive, to use in any emergency, and exactly how I would carry out any procedures suggested.
Many thanks to MAJ, mgmcc and Sea Urchin for their help so far.

mgmcc 12:48 01 Mar 09

>>> To clarify my needs, I cloned the internal
>>> hard drive, to the external USB2 hard drive,
>>> as I want it to be a spare hard drive for the
>>> system, in case the original internal hard
>>> drive becomes corrupt

You still don't need to *CLONE* your internal drive. If it becomes corrupt, you can restore the backup "image" file to it from the external drive. This totally overwrites the [corrupt] version on the internal drive with the backup copy on the external drive. If the internal drive fails, you can restore the backup to a new hard drive.

>>> However I now want the easiest but safest and
>>> surest way of updating my documents file,

I still believe that a synchronisation program is the way to go with this. I help a chap running a one-man business with his "computer problems" and we use AllwaySync to keep the business's "My Documents" folder sync'd between his main PC, backup PC and Laptop.

23790954 13:38 01 Mar 09

Many thanks for that mgmcc, I will have a go at what you recommended and try the sync programme.
Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but its the age thing I guess. Although I know very little in programming, I build and repair desktop comp;uters for my family, and this back up system is for the computer I look after, at my daughter in laws hair salon. She needs a reliable back up system, to keep her daily appointments etc. on, which she can back up each evening when closing. Twice since I installed the computer 4 years ago, her internal hard drive has become corrupt, and I have spent litterly hours, recovering the files on the system. I just want to avoid this happening again, so that I will just be able to use the external back up drive to boot the system, and recover the files etc.
Many thanks mgmcc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…