" instead of @

Mike_R 17:56 18 Jan 08

I've had to restore XP from scratch on a desktop. I think that I followed all the instructions and don't recall being asked about the English format, but when I type @ i get " and vice versa. I've subsequently been into Control and changed the language from Enlish(USA) to English(UK) and restarted XP, but with no success. I seem to remember having this with a new laptop which I managed to correct but I can't get to grips with this one.
I should mention that I've also had to replace the keyboard with a wireless one as the old one had been rammed in bending the plug pins. Whether this was what shafted XP I don't know.
XP seems to be OK now apart from the above, for which I would be grateful for any advice.

VoG II 18:37 18 Jan 08

Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Language tab, Details button. Set the keyboard to United Kingdom.

JoshS 18:42 18 Jan 08

Try: Start > Control Panel > Regional And Language Options > Language Tab > Details > In the 'Settings' tab look for installed services. Ignore Handwriting Recognition and look under keyboard. Remove 'English (United States).

That should do it.

JoshS 18:43 18 Jan 08

(Different to VoG, as that removes a sub language. You already said that the keyboard was set to United Kingdom.)

Mike_R 18:58 18 Jan 08

Thanks folk. I will try the above tomorrow when I visit my son with a new printer. I can't remember exactly where I changed things to English(UK). It was cetainly somewhere in Language options. I can't have a look to remind myself on my own PC as it is running under Vista.

Mike_R 20:01 19 Jan 08

Thanks again. All sorted, at least that problem. I looked under Details this time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced