Instant Switch Off, no warning, no errors, nada

JonnyTub 20:34 02 Apr 05

Our kids having probs with her pc again only this time it’s got me well and truly stumped.

Pc consists of Asrock k7s8x Mobo, bios revision 2.50, XP Pro,
Amd athlon 2600 xp (thoroughbred B), cooled by variable speed silent heatpipe.
1 gig pc3200 Kingston Ram (3 sticks),
Geforce fx5600 graphics card,
PCI Tv capture card,
Pci Firewire card, Pci
Pci IDE expansion card
USB2 expansion card
2 dual layer multi format dvd writers
100 gb hd
100 gb hd
100 gb hd
60 gb hd
1 LCD panel displaying temps with 2 usb2 ports and 1 firewire
1 internal 8 in 1 card reader
floppy drive
and a partridge in a pear tree
3 case fans (1 sucking from front and 2 blowing out back)
400w codegen psu

Right this machine has been running perfectly for the last six months (no net connection) no problems at all, now it’s running for a while until it’s under load and switches off without any notice or error message (even though it’s set to give them) My first thought was temps, roughly the time the pc goes off the bios reads 61 C, the panel reads 61 C and motherboard monitor reads 61 C after a heavy session editing photos or videos, curiously it doesn’t happen when games are played although they aren’t very demanding games. I checked the amd website for operating temps and the one’s I’m finding are bang on the money so I’ve almost dismissed high temps as an issue (not quite though). My next thought was the psu as it’s powering quite a bit of kit and so it was duly removed and my own installed (a branded 600w), same problem!! All but the most basic hardware was removed and tried as well, guess what………
There seems to be no other pattern to the instant switch off’s other than when editing, i even ran a few benchmarks and they went through fine. Tried another photo editor and the same problem. A complete reinstall didn’t fix it and the bios has no provision for switching off the pc should it reach a particular temp so I can’t switch that off. There’s no probs in device manager

I’d like to get this sorted as she’s borrowed my laptop in case it goes down and doesn’t come back on so she can complete her work. I’d like it back and back soon……….

My only other thought was a failing mobo

Help ?

TIA

JonnyTub 22:13 02 Apr 05

^

westwit 22:26 02 Apr 05

Just a thought - it might be the graphics card on the blink. I had a similar problem which was cured by replacement of both the PSU and graphics card, as you have tried a different PSU with no improvement I suggest you try a different graphics card and see what happens. Might be worth a go.

JonnyTub 22:37 02 Apr 05

Cheers Westwit, I hadn't thought of that, I shall remove my own and give that a whirl first thing in the morning.

If you can think of anything else I haven't tried yet it'd be a great help.

DieSse 00:44 03 Apr 05

Mains plug/socket problems? Try plugging it into a different wall socket.

JonnyTub 15:37 03 Apr 05

Right, been at it for 5 hours today and still getting no where except i'm definetly leaning towards mobo issues / failure. The graphics card from my machine did exactly the same thing, i have noticed though the instances of immediate power down are more frequent with my card installed (6800gt). I did try another socket as per DieSse's suggestion using an extension from a known good outlet (tv), same thing. I'd hate to advise her to buy a new mobo should it turn out not to be the problem, methinks it is though.

Thanks for suggestions guys. Anymore where they came from?

I'm going to leave this thread open a little longer incase someone spots something we've missed, fingers crossed.

JonnyTub 15:38 03 Apr 05

Right, been at it for 5 hours today and still getting no where except i'm definetly leaning towards mobo issues / failure. The graphics card from my machine did exactly the same thing, i have noticed though the instances of immediate power down are more frequent with my card installed (6800gt). I did try another socket as per DieSse's suggestion using an extension from a known good outlet (tv), same thing. I'd hate to advise her to buy a new mobo should it turn out not to be the problem, methinks it is though.

Thanks for suggestions guys. Anymore where they came from?

I'm going to leave this thread open a little longer incase someone spots something we've missed, fingers crossed.

AndySD 16:30 03 Apr 05

Sounds like it may be a RAM Problem try click here memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic click here

JonnyTub 16:45 03 Apr 05

Sorry Andy I should've mentioned I've been down that road and changed the ram for a known working module.

I'm going to tick this thread off and advise her to try a new mobo. It shouldn't sting too much we get a 10% discount at our local shop :-)

And if that doesn't sort, I'll be taking an irish screwdriver to fix it properly.

Again thanks to all who replied.

JonnyTub 20:55 05 Apr 05

Just to let you guys know, the mobo was at fault, i removed the cpu from it's socket and the damn socket was loose!! Must have been knocked at some point. Never mind, a new mobo fitted and running smoothly AND i have my laptop back, happy bunny I am :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac