Instant quote page for customers? Help creating?

Gaz 25 19:27 28 Aug 03

(FE, this is the new one, thanks)

What I need is a HTML page that can allow customers to custom build a base unit PC,

At the current moment the form is e-mailed remotely to sales, but I would like a quicker instant quote system.

Then the user can e-mail the form if they wish to get more information and availability.

I need a drop down menu with the products in for each part of the PC:

For example:

(Name)Processor:

(Drop down) Amd 2800+

Amd 3000+

Intel 2.8

Intel 3.06

You get it?

And at the end it adds the cost of the PC up.

I was told the link does not work but the same principle is used here: click here

If anyone can provide editable code, thanks!

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 14:03 29 Aug 03

Bump (After 24 hours) ;-)

tbh72 14:42 29 Aug 03

Having looked at the example you have given it is based on ASP. It seem's quite involved & only something which would be caried out by a person whom is extremely competent with database techniques. It appears to be based on 1 or more databases with queries setup to generate the summing at the bottom of the screen.

I will watch this thread with interest & employ the services of your knight in shining armour?!?!?

Talented Monkey 14:55 29 Aug 03

Unfortunately you can not do this with just HTML. Personally I would use PHP (others would do it using ASP etc) as you need a language which has the capability of calculating values, which you cannot do with HTML

You can still have your form in HTML, but when the form is submitted the values are sent to another page, of which part of it will be written in php etc This page will be where all the values calculated and processed in the way you want.. These values can also be passed to your credit card processing merchant and/or to create a invoice/ mail order form.

It is impractical to keep on changing all the HTML by hand every time a price changes or new product is needed, therefore you will need some sort of admin panel where you can add or edit products which are then stored in a MYSQL database (Or other).

You could have additional code in php on your form page to read all the information from the database, however this can result in hundreds if not thousands of database requests which will cause problems with server slowing up amongst other things.

Ideally after you have made any changes to the data base, you will need another bit of code that will generate a static html page where all the database information will be written as normal HTML code.

I expect this isn?t the answer you really wanted to hear, but unfortunately although something sounds and looks simple to do, such as just picking a couple of items from a list and adding them up, when you look into it, as my brief description has, then you can see there is hell of a lot more in these things that meet the eye.

Gaz 25 15:17 29 Aug 03

Thanks,

Ok, to get them results I will have to do that then.

Is there any website that offers software which can create this, or a page where it provides some code to create it.

Regards,
Gareth

PS. I heard it can be done with Javascript?

Taran 01:16 30 Aug 03

Perhaps I am missing something obvious here.

If you need is a series of drop down menus which will allow customers to itemise their components (for example) for a computer system they would like to have built, can you confirm this point ?

If you would like the selections they make to come up with a cost per item, again, can you confirm this ?

Finally if you would like the list of cost per item to be calculated into a total, can you confirm ?

This can all be done quite simply using several alternative methods, including (but not limited to) DHTML, JavaScript, PHP or ASP; these last two would be more than up to the job if you wanted to call the cost per item from a data source and run some on-the-fly calculations. You could also code up a VB, Delphi or .NET solution (among others), but this falls into a hammer to crack a nut approach.

You can populate one listbox (or a textbox) by selecting from another listbox. In brief, you choose Item 1 from a drop down list of options. You can set your form up using any one of several methods (I like JavaScript for this) so that when you select Item 1, a textbox appears next to the drop down with the description of the item you selected. A second textbox next to the first one has its price. If you change your mind and select Item 2 from the drop down menu, the description and cost textbox values change to reflect you choice.

This is how it would appear:

Listbox - Description textbox - Price textbox

Select something from the Listbox and Description textbox and Price textbox are filled with its values.

It's not rocket science, but you do need a very firm plan of what you want to achieve. Knowing the required output is vital to getting this right. The real problems start when you want to pass the selections to an online purchasing system, which is where the necessity for one or more underlying databases comes into play for smooth operation.

Get back to me with as much detail as you can and I'll see what I can cook up for you.

Taran 01:34 30 Aug 03

It's just struck me that you could possibly use Excel for a simple quoting system.

Setting up the listboxes in Excel is alittle tricky until you get the hang of it, but once it's done it would be dead easy for you to maintain.

It would be limiting in that you couldn't use it for online trading, but as a quoting system it might just do the trick.

When displaying Excel online, I like to display a named range of a sheet in a normal web page. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how easy it would be to set up the calculations (which could possibly be run from a command button) and the reference list for the listboxes would be simple enough to update.

I've never done this before, but in theory it could work. I've put Excel named ranges online more times than you could shake a stick at, but never where there was dynamic content.

The idea has me interested enough to try it though.

;o)

I also completely forgot about Flash. If you have it, you can use Flash for forms; it can be set up to run calculations and you can pass the results through to databases and/or online trading systems, so this could also be worth a look.

T

harristweed 08:32 31 Aug 03

I wrote something similar a while ago, it's PHP4 but dosnt use a database....look at click here

if this is what you want, i'll send the code so you can alter it.

Gaz 25 20:37 31 Aug 03

I can confirm all your points. Yes.

Ok, I would rather have this in Javascript if possible please?

But if it has to be DHTML or PHP, then it will have to be.

Prices change but I do not mind changing them anyway, as I edit the sites code often so javascript is not bad.

Can you help then please?

Gaz 25 20:46 31 Aug 03

Reread your posts.

I would be quite intrested in the excel thing, I will have a go.

However if it could be like this the javascript thing:

Listbox

>With contained items (+price)

Listbox 2

>With contained items (+price)

Then at the bottom = £ TOTAL

So as they select components it adds up the value of the computer system, depending on what products they chose,

At the moment sales get this:

Time/Date: 4:22 PM 31st Aug 03

ID: Custom build PC

Processor: = Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz

Memory_Slot_1: = 512Mb SDRAM

Memory_Slot_2: = Select from menu...

Memory_Slot_3: = Select from menu...

Memory_Slot_4: = Select from menu...

Hard_Disc_1: = 80Gb 7200HDD

Hard_Disc_2: = Select from menu...

Etc

And sales have to use our software to add the prices up, which is a swine, If this can be added up automatically by one of our staff maintaining it, great.

But I like the Javascript idea, I am not to well up on this though, I would need some pre written code and some help along the way,

I am thinking about a webdesigner for our company but it costs for something that if you get help from here can be done for free. Then money can go towards other parts of the buissness.

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 20:52 31 Aug 03

Looks simalar to what I need, but I need more options than you, as I have quite a lot of stock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…