Instant Messaging advice required

Squeals 23:01 13 Nov 04

I have long avoided IM because of fears of satanic intervention on my life and computer, however my wife now wants to hold video chats with her friend in Hong Kong so have installed a webcam and set up MSN and Windows Messengers. My daughter wants to use this to talk to her friends as well. Anyway enough preamble.... My questions are two fold:
1 - Which is the safest and most stable IM client to use which will allow us to contact AOL, MSN and any other IM client? Is there one or will I need several?
2 - AM looking to go over to broadband to ensure I don't get any bandwidth problems so who's good and cheap to use? Don't do much downloading or uploading, nor do I do multiplayer gaming so basic service is probably fine.
All replies will be acknowledged.
Thanks in advance
Squeals

Smegs 23:07 13 Nov 04

Everyone that I know use's MSN Messenger. I couldn't tell you if it will communicate of other chat programs.

click here Wanadoo broadband. £17.99 2Gb download a month.

Squeals 23:19 13 Nov 04

Thanks for info on Wanadoo. Will see if anyone else responds on teh subject of compatibility with other IM clients. TTFN

kspatto 23:59 13 Nov 04

demon does unmetered broadband for £19.99 or as said wanadoo is cheap but 2 gig will not go a long way
for instant messaging you can combine several types with a prog called gaim see link

click here

patto

Strawballs 00:08 14 Nov 04

Don't know about compatibility but windows messenger will not work with webcam and microphone but the latest MSN will.

Squeals 11:12 14 Nov 04

Many thanks for response.

Strawballs - got latest MSN but know that friend on AOL.

Kspatto - does IM use a lot of data up/download, particularly if using video then?

Thanks again.

Squeals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…