Installing XP without a mouse

m800afc 07:49 04 Jul 09

I have managed to cobble together a PC out of bits I have scrounged. On installing XP the installation continues normally until I get to the blue page with the message;
"Welcome to Microsoft Windows - Lets spend a few minutes setting up your computer".

The trouble is I only have USB mice. I have tried to use alt+shift+numlock in order to use the keyboard as a mouse. Unfortunately his does not work at this stage of the installation and I am unable to press the "Next" button to continue. There is no way of shutting down short of switching off at the mains.

What do I have to do to use the keyboard to continue the installation?

ronalddonald 07:55 04 Jul 09

borrow another mouse from a friend the one that has a usb cable connection and c if that works. You could try using the keyboard the down and up arrow keys should work as wel as the two arrow key on the left handside of the key board.

BT 07:58 04 Jul 09

Have you not got one of these

click here

most USB mice/keyboards come with one when you buy them

m800afc 09:35 04 Jul 09

Thanks for the replies.
The problem was that I had not got sufficiently far into the installation to be able to use the USB ports.

I got so fed up in the end, I started pressing key combinations in a sort of random precision, and blow me, one of the combinations worked, and I have now finished the installation. I have no idea what the successful combination was, but it was NOT shift+Alt+Numlock!

Now that the installation is complete I am able to use my USB wireless mouse as normal.

Cheers all.

Stuartli 09:46 04 Jul 09

Worth keeping a standard PS/2 corded mouse (plus corded keyboard) handy for such purposes - very cheap items these days.

BT 16:31 04 Jul 09

...or one of those USB - PS2 converters as in my post.

Stuartli 16:39 04 Jul 09

Yes, I have one in use for the transmitter's cable.

I was probably thinking about my cordless optical mouse at the time...:-)

Even so, with the problems sometimes experienced with wireless products, a basic corded alternative is still useful (I know from personal experience, especially if you are sorting out other people's systems at home).

BT 17:06 04 Jul 09

I've given up on wireless mice and keyboards. Wired ones are much less trouble and I was forever changing batteries especially in the mice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…