installing XP on small hard drive

bigboab y 12:06 09 Aug 03

My grandsons puter has a 2.5 gig hard drive running Windows ME... I fitted a 6.5 gig drive as the slave HDD...When I try to install XP it tells me there is not enuff disc space on drive "c" (the original drive")... which I suspected might happen as XP gobbles up space... he has a lot of stuff on his drive which he doesnt want to lose ( you guessed it .. boom boom music )... he doesnt have a re-writer.. how can i free up space on drive "c"... if its not possible.. can I get XP to install on to the new drive and how do i do it? (so many questions ..so little brains)

AMD 4 ever 12:18 09 Aug 03

you install xp on the slave drive. how u go about doing that is upto u, either remove drive and select as master, then proceed to install....or use it as a dual boot system, set it to boot from 2nd hdd.

bigboab y 14:42 09 Aug 03

so if I make the new drivethe master,and install XP on it will I lose any dataon the original drive and will I have to uninstall windows ME off it?

bigboab y 09:55 10 Aug 03

Ok .. I have now got ME on the 2.5 drive (slave) amd XP on the 6.5 drive (master).... I get a choice on boot up .. Can I remove ME from the first drive without losing any data i.e work solely on XP .. is there a way this can be done??

JIM 10:12 10 Aug 03

Make sure you have enough memory plus the spec of your grandsons puter can cope with XP.
Did you purchase winxp for that purpose considering the limitations of the licence?

bigboab y 11:04 10 Aug 03

he's got 128 megs so should be ok..and the XP seems to work fine .... what licence limitations do you mean Jim?....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…