Installing XP Service Pack 3

bartonside 13:11 13 Oct 08

Microsoft have offered me SP3 but the window says I should back up my system first. I have no way of doing this - does it matter if I don't? Also, I have heard that Norton has problems with SP3. Can anyone confirm this?

Rahere 13:35 13 Oct 08

I guess that you are installing via MS update which is a smaller download but will still take time. The other way is to download the full SP3 file. click here

You are not required to backup but you should consider it as a priority in case anything goes wrong in the future.

Should be OK to install - SP3 sets a restore point first and keep your fingers crossed that all goes well. Norton IS 2008 works fine most recent versions should be good too.

peter99co 14:00 13 Oct 08

During the installation phase turn off the anti virus. Always a good idea when installing new sofware anyway.

Pineman100 14:14 13 Oct 08

I received SP3 as a Microsoft update this week. It installed with no problems, and I didn't deactivate my security software (Kaspersky).

However, I did create a Restore Point before I installed it. This proved to be un-necessary, because the installation also created a Restore Point itself!

tullie 14:17 13 Oct 08

Cant you create a restore point first?

john bunyan 14:19 13 Oct 08

bartonside. Do read the other threads on this. Most insallations are ok but some of us have had problems which are shared on the other threads.

T I M B O 14:56 13 Oct 08

Nowadays external hard drives are so cheap to purchase & backup all ur data is well worth the mula.

Many have experienced problems with SP3, I did on an old install, so I formatted and installed SP3 1st before doing anything else and I have had nil problems. Rahere has put the correct link there for you for SP3 which you can burn to a cd and keep.

I use Norton’s Internet Security 2008 and I have had nil problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…