Installing XP on replacement hard drive

mhov 16:04 29 Jun 07

I am trying to replace a 12gb hard drive in my Dell Latitude CPx laptop with a 60gb hard drive from another laptop which is unusable due to a motherboard failure. I reformatted the larger drive and fitted it to the Dell ready to install XP but when I switch on I get a message saying that the hard disc is protected by a password authentication system. I am invited to enter the password - but I have no idea what it is - and no recollection of ever setting a password when the disc was in the previous laptop. Is there anyway I can find out what the password might be?

pk46 17:39 29 Jun 07

Then you could not have formated the drive you have the option on WXP to delete that partition and start afresh,your deleting data not accessing it.

mhov 20:49 29 Jun 07

I formatted by connecting the drive up to my desktop (via a USB port)highlighting the drive, then selecting "format" from the file menu. Is that not sufficient to wipe the disc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…